Bangladesh Garment Manufactures & Exporters Association (BGMEA)
1. Name of the Organization: Bangladesh Garment Manufactures & Exporters Association (BGMEA)
2. Address: BGMEA Complex, 23/1 Panthapath Link Raod, Karwan Bazar, Dhaka-1215.
3. Contact Information:
a. Contact Person : Ehsan –Ul Fatah, Secretary General
b. Telephone : 88 02 8115597, 8115597
c. Facsimile : 88 02 8113951, 8125739
d. E-mail :
e. Web : www.bgmea.com.bd
4. Business of Industry: Association
5. Description of Company Activities:
BGMEA is being run by a 27-member elected Board of Directors. Four Vice Presidents having important portfolios, along with a secretariat of experienced officials, assist the Board in formulating and executing vital policies and programs of the organization. The president is the highest executive authority of the BGMEA. BGMEA plays a very strong role in leading the industry in concurrence with the government.
Major Activities of BGMEA:
- BGMEA works to protect and promote the interests of the industry; thus ensuring a sustained growth in the foreign exchange earnings of the country.
- Maintains liaison with foreign buyers, business associations and chambers.
- BGMEA brings the opportunities for local manufactures to interact with foreign buyers and form new rapport by arranging different apparel fairs at home and abroad.
- BGMEA has also established its own Institute called “BGMEA Institute of Fashion & Technology (BIFT)” which has been approved by the government to turn into a university.
- Organizes trade missions to explore the new markets and to facilitate trade in existing markets and organizes seminars for recommending on key policies.
- BGMEA has set up a Crisis Management Committee for emergencies.
- BGMEA undertakes a number of regular activities and projects to ensure workers rights, social and environmental compliance and welfare.
- BGMEA believes in environmental sustainability to promote environmental compliance in the RMG industry. Recently we have set up an environment cell in BGMEA to reinforce such activities.
- BGMEA has been running several programs with partners like IFC, SEDF to assist the member factories toward energy efficient and cleaner production.
- BGMEA recognizes the fundamental rights of the workers, particularly access to healthcare facilities. On this spirit BGMEA runs 12 Health centers for the garment workers and their families, provide pre-medical services and medicines at free of cost.
- The Group Insurance scheme for the garment workers and staffs has been made mandatory.
- Provides arbitration facilities to the garment workers free of cost.
- BGMEA is going to develop a central database system for the garment workers, which will cover all workers’ information of the readymade garment sector.
Therefore, BGMEA is committed to ensure all legitimate rights and privileges of the garment workers. The association also strives toward the betterment of the society and environment.